Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn

The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn
Directed by: Steven Spielberg
Written by: Steven Moffat, Edgar Wright, and Joe Cornish

Plot:
Tintin and Captain Haddock set off on a treasure hunt for a sunken ship commanded by Haddock's ancestor. But someone else is in search of the ship.

Review:
I wasn’t really sure what to expect going into this film. The trailers looked just okay and I had never read a Tintin comic before. But it did not matter, as the amazing motion capture animation, the spectacular camera movements, and clever editing sucked me right into the adventure of the film right from the opening credit sequence, which set the tone for the entire movie.

Spielberg really was the right choice to helm this project. He completely understands how an adventure story works and has even stated that Tintin was a huge influence on the Indiana Jones films. His choice to use motion capture was his best idea though. It would not have worked as live action with the dog and he wouldn’t have had the camera movement range if it was all CGI, and the camera movement made the movie. With one of the best scenes being a motorcycle chase done with no cuts through a village.

So I was trying to figure out whether Tintin was a kid or an adult. He looks like a kid and everybody calls him kid but sounds like an adult, carries a gun, lives in his own apartment. I hear the comics also keep his age ambiguous but this bothered me a little bit as did his annoying catchphrases. It shouldn't bother me because it is staying true to the comic, but I have never read it so it bother me.

If you have read the comics then you will surely fall in love with this film. I did the research and it stays true and accurate to the comics which is always nice to hear. It was a fun film that took you on a wild ride with some laughs along the way. I will not be surprised if a sequel is made, but I would have to dissaprove if Spielberg was not apart of it, since it was very obvious his mind was behind the heart of the film.

Rating: 7.5/10
Please support my review by clicking on an ad.

No comments:

Post a Comment