Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Killer Elite

Killer Elite
Directed by: Greg McKendry
Written by: Matt Sherring


Plot:
When his mentor is taken captive, a retired member of Britain's Elite Special Air Service is forced into action. His mission: kill three assassins dispatched by their cunning leader.


Review:
I would have to say that this movie was subpar and the fact that I went in thinking this didn’t help. I am kinda bias to films that claim they are based on a true story when the actions in the film are just absurd. Although I did like the film The Devils Double (http://bigbobbosreviews.blogspot.com/2011/08/devils-double.html) which was based on a book about real events. Killer Elite is based on the book The Feather Man written by ex-SAS officer Ranulph Fiennes and who the hell knows what he wrote is in any means true. The opening titles even said, (I can’t remember the exact words but went something like...) The actions in this film are based of events during this time period but a lot of information is confidential by the British Government. It was obviously a lot more concise and smooth than what I just wrote but you get the gist.


Either way the trailers gave us all a misrepresentation of what the plot was about. The trailers made it seem like Clive Owen was a bad guy and Jason Statham was going to kill him. This was not the movie. The plot was a lot more complex then this storyline and this was not a good thing. Since there was so much going on the structure of the story was all over the place leading you in all different directions which made it confusing to follow. And if you are looking for your normal Jason Statham skull bashing flick this is not it. 


I did like the acting in the film. It is Jason Statham at his finest since the film Snatch. Maybe after this film he could land a role besides the role he plays in almost every other movie. Clive Owen is great as always. I think he is a great actor and he played a good support man in this film. His mustache was menacing. Robert De Niro has been in a lot of bad films recently and I guess he can add this to his list but he still knows how to act. He did not have a large role in the film but he had some good hand to hand fight scenes. 


I have not read The Feather Man, but I hear Killer Elite was very faithful to the book. I like it when I hear things like that but this film still didn’t cut it for me because they plastered the words, “Based on a True Story” before the film began. Once I see that I can’t help but to judge the film.


Rating: 5.5/10


Please show your support by clicking on one of the ads. This is how I earn money to go see more movies. Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment